Warning: Keep cats and dogs away from pyrethrin and permethrin

6a01157163c51e970c017c3207e9bc970b

One year ago this month my 17 year old cat died. She came to the end of a battle that started months prior. She was in perfectly good health when she came to me one day scratching at her ear. She kept doing it and I thought perhaps she had ear mites. So I went to a local pet store and picked up a bottle of ear mite drops. Easy solution, or so I thought. But instead it began a nightmare of a problem.

I followed the direction in giving my cat the ear mite medication. It said that it usually took two applications to be effective, and they were given every other day. Within a couple of days of giving her the medication she was nearly dead (two applications). All the fur fell off of her chest and sores opened up. She lost the use of her back legs and became very ill.

I took my cat, Sheba, to the vet, along with the medication I had given her. He took one look at the medication, threw it in the trash and said she had been poisoned. Little did I know that the pyrethrin in the ear mite medication is a deadly toxin to pets. I was dumbfounded! How on earth could this stuff be for sale on the pet store shelves when it kills your pet? The vet said it harms and kills pets all the time, but it’s allowed, so it’s readily available.

My cat never made a full recovery. She got a little better, but never got full use of her back legs back and was just not doing well after that point. Inside it had done nerve and liver damage and a few months later she had multiple organ failure and died. The application of that medication started a slow downward spiral that damaged her and ultimately killed her.

A couple of days ago a cousin of mine used Sentry flea medication on her 5-month old dog. It contained permethrin, and it poisoned her dog. He became very ill and even with taking him to the vet he couldn’t recover. He died 76 hours after having been given the flea medication. Again, the toxic product was purchased right at the pet store.

The FDA is well aware of these problems and there are many complaints of the damage and death it has done to cats and dogs. There are various names for this insecticide, including pyrethrin, permethrin, pyrethroid, etc. But they are all toxins that can kill your pet and they are readily available in products at the local pet store.

If you need to purchase a product for ear mites, fleas, or whatever other problem you may have, call the vet and clear the product with him/her. Some things may not need an office visit with the vet, but checking with them to ensure the product you are choosing is safe can make a world of difference. Before giving my cat the ear mite medicine I had no idea the toxic problem existed. But giving it to her caused nerve damage and killed her, just as my cousin giving her dog the flea medication with it poisoned and killed him.

Always avoid products with these ingredients, even though they are readily available in the stores. Until the FDA finally does something to regulate this our pets are going to continue to be poisoned by them. The more people we tell about this, the better off our pets will be!

Here’s a picture of my cousin’s dog, Sammy, while he was sick and trying to recover from the poisoning:

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s