Timothy Morgan spent £6,500 on the two-week holiday at the five-star Moon Palace resort in Cancun for his family
By Simon Lennon
A DAD was left bed bound for four months after catching a sickness bug on a dream Thomas Cook holiday to Mexico.
Timothy Morgan said his condition was so bad that even when he was at work he would spend his breaks sleeping at a desk.
As well as tiredness, Timothy also had constant diarrhoea and stomach cramps for a month and lost a stone and a half in weight following a luxury holiday to Mexico.
He was later diagnosed with bacterial bug Cyclospora and the Foreign Office later issued a warning about a mass outbreak of the illness in his resort.
Timothy said: “This has been horrific. At times, I have felt like the walking dead. I have just slept and gone to work then gone back to bed. I have been too exhausted to do anything else. It has been an awful experience and very draining.
“I had to put my life on hold. Thankfully I am now back to normal but I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy.”
Ford car machinist Timothy booked the £6,500 two-week holiday at the five-star Moon Palace resort in Cancun for himself and his wife Mandy, 50 and son Joseph, 18 and a pal.
The family were expecting a relaxing break with top quality dining having visited the same hotel years earlier but Timothy claimed they discovered standards had slipped soon after arriving.
The 50-year-old said: “We got checked into our room but the noise was deafening as the balcony overlooked a building site”
They changed room the following day but he says he then noticed the quality of the food wasn’t as good as their previous trip as they tried out most of the resort’s up to 15 restaurants.
He added “The quality meat wasn’t as good – you could tell they were packing people in and the luxury element was lacking.”
Timothy also said the outside lunchtime eating areas were plagued by birds.
While there in August last year they met up with another family from near their home and were surprised when they learned their son had fallen ill and was confined to his room as a result.
Timothy added: “I thought it was just a case of over indulgence or too much sun and thought nothing more of it.”
A few days later he himself fell ill and put it down to the weather but on the last day as they flew home he said the illness really took hold with stomach cramps, sickness and diarrhoea.
He said: “The journey home was horrific I was up and down to the toilet like a yo yo. It was the worst flight ever – I had the cramps and then diarrhoea; it was awful. I have never felt so bad.”
Following tests, he was later diagnosed with Cyclospora and put on antibiotics and the diarrhoea stopped only to be replaced with extreme fatigue.
Timothy – a season ticket holder and regular at Swansea AFC football club didn’t have the energy to watch a match and couldn’t even take the dog for a walk such was his tiredness.
The dad from Port Talbot added: “It is very hard to explain but I was totally drained. It was just work then bed and that was it.”
His wife then started researching the bug and she later contacted Thomas Cook about his ordeal but after a series of unsatisfactory responses he decided he had no choice but to take legal action.
Nolan Mortimer Head of Travel at Simpson Millar solicitors is handling his claim and has been inundated with calls from people struck ill with Cyclospora in Mexico while travelling with Thomas Cook and other tour operators.
When contacted, a Thomas Cook spokesperson said: “We want our customers to have the best possible time on holiday, so we are sorry to hear that Mr Morgan was ill.
“We take all reports of illness seriously and we are investigating this case thoroughly.”