RSPCA warning after cat dies in St Austell from possible poisoning

By CG_Steve

The cat was found dead with foam coming from its mouth

The RSPCA is warning people to be aware of the dangers of antifreeze, pesticides and chemicals after the death of a cat in St Austell.

The black and white cat, known as Felix, was found dead on Friday (July 21) with foam coming from his mouth in Hornick Hill, High Street, in the town.

Felix’s owner, who asked not to be named because her children don’t know how their beloved cat died, has spoken out to warn other animal owners in the area after fearing her cat had been poisoned.

She said: “My son had let Felix back in the evening before we found him dead and there were no signs he was so ill.

“Sadly when I discovered him next morning rigor mortis had already set in and he was surrounded by mess and had foam coming from his month.

“I want to warn other people about what has happened because I know of two other cats have recently died in the same area in the same way and would hate for someone else to lose their pet.”

RSPCA inspector Claire Ryder, who is investigating the death, said: “Losing a much-loved family pet is heartbreaking.

“We do not know exactly how Felix died so we are encouraging animal-owners who live in the area to keep an eye on their cats’ wellbeing and if they are showing symptoms of poisoning get them veterinary treatment immediately.

“We are urging anyone who has any information about what happened to Felix to please contact the RSPCA’s appeal line in complete confidence on 0300 123 8018.

“We do not know if this was accidental or deliberate, but would ask for everyone in the area to check where they keep their pesticides and chemicals including antifreeze and make sure it is secure and out of the way of cats.

“People should check their car radiators for leaks too.”

Signs of poisoning can be seen anything from 30 minutes after a cat has ingested the chemical, although it can be two or three days before signs of kidney failure are seen.

The signs of poisoning can include one, or several, of the following: vomiting, seeming depressed or sleepy, appearing drunk and uncoordinated, seizures and difficulty breathing.

If you suspect that your cat has been poisoned you should take it to a vet immediately. If possible, you should take a sample of what the cat has eaten/drunk, or the container.

To help the RSPCA continue rescuing, rehabilitating and rehoming animals in desperate need of care visit www.rspca.org.uk/give or text LOVE to 87023 to give £3. Text costs £3 plus one standard network rate message.

 

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s