MARYSVILLE, Ohio, July 31, 2017 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) — With news reports of bed bug infestations on the rise across the country, Ortho®, the nation’s leading brand of pest control products, unveiled its Ortho®Home Defense® Bed Bug Trap. The trap’s attractant pheromone was developed by leading scientists to lure, trap and detect bed bugs quickly for peace of mind.
A photo accompanying this announcement is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/NewsRoom/AttachmentNg/d54ed9cb-4a63-4107-a3cd-d129235cd210
In conjunction with the trap launch, Ortho commissioned a new survey to uncover fears about bed bugs. Worried about an infestation? You’re not alone! Ortho uncovered shocking statistics – Americans are deeply afraid of these pesky pests. In fact, nearly 3-in-5 Americans (58 percent)1 would rather be naked in public than have bed bugs.
Available now at major retailers nationwide, this portable, pesticide-free trap uses a newly identified, patent-pending attractant pheromone to lure bed bugs out of hiding by tricking them into thinking they have reached a safe shelter. If bed bugs are present, the trap captures them permanently in a sticky pad, allowing users to quickly and confidently confirm their presence through a viewing window. If detected, Ortho encourages users to treat the problem with the full line of Ortho® Home Defense® bed bug products.
“Bed bugs spread easily, are drawn to warm bodies, and are both notoriously difficult to spot and expensive to get rid of,” said Tim Martin, Vice President & General Manager, Ortho. “Bed bugs do not discriminate where they invade, and if you know someone who has them, you know what a helpless feeling it is. This first-of-its-kind trap for consumer use lures bed bugs out of hiding so individuals can quickly know if they have an infestation in their home or office and take the necessary steps to get rid of them.”
Developed in partnership with Drs. Gerhard and Regina Gries at Simon Fraser University, this husband-and-wife team has made and continues to make extraordinary contributions to the industry’s knowledge and understanding of insect behavior and insect chemical ecology. These world experts began their bed bug research eight years ago when Gerhard, who is internationally renowned for his pioneering work in chemical and bioacoustic communication between insects, began searching for pheromones that could lure and trap bed bugs.
Bed bugs can infest any location — they’re in clean homes and five-star hotels. Ortho found that bed bugs have become so prevalent that 1-in-3 Americans (33 percent)1 know several people who have had bed bugs; half of Americans (50 percent)1 know at least one person who has had bed bugs; and the majority of Americans (58 percent)1 have actually checked their current home for bed bugs.
Ortho Home Defense Provides a Straightforward and Comprehensive Product Line to Fight Bed Bugs:
- At the first sign of bed bugs, spot treat visible ones on smaller areas, such as bed frames and mattresses, with Ortho® Home Defense® Dual-Action Bed Bug Killer, a fast-acting aerosol that kills bed bugs and their eggs.
- Then, kill hidden bed bugs on larger areas such as carpet, baseboards, closets and furniture with Ortho® Home Defense® Bed Bug, Flea & Tick Killer, a Ready-To-Use formula featuring a continuous-spray comfort wand applicator.
- Also, kill hidden bed bugs in cracks, crevices and electrical outlets with Ortho® Home Defense® Bed Bug, Flea & Tick Killer Powder.
- For ongoing monitoring and whenever bed bugs are suspected, detect, lure and trap them around the bed with Ortho® Home Defense® Bed Bug Trap.
The average American would pay $6811 to fully eliminate bed bugs from their home. The full Ortho® Home Defense® solution costs less than $45 to treat for bed bugs.
For more information about the Ortho® Home Defense® Bed Bug Trap, including where to purchase, visit Ortho.com/BedBugs.
- Survey Methodology: The Ortho® Survey was conducted by Wakefield Research (www.wakefieldresearch.com) among 1,000 nationally representative U.S. adults 18+, between June 28 and July 5, 2017 using an email invitation and an online survey. Quotas have been set to ensure reliable and accurate representation of the U.S. adult population 18 and older.
About Scotts Miracle-Gro
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company is the world’s largest marketer of branded consumer products for lawn and garden care. The Company’s brands are the most recognized in the industry. In the U.S., the Company’s Scotts®, Miracle-Gro® and Ortho® brands are market-leading in their categories, as is the consumer Roundup® brand, which is marketed near worldwide by Scotts and owned by Monsanto. In the U.S., we maintain a minority interest in TruGreen®, the largest residential lawn care service business, and in Bonnie Plants®, the largest marketer of edible gardening plants in retail channels. In Europe, the Company’s brands include Weedol®, Pathclear®, Evergreen®, Levington®, Miracle-Gro®, KB®, Fertiligène® and Substral®. For additional information, visit us at www.scottsmiraclegro.com.
The Scotts Miracle-Gro Company