POCAHONTAS COUNTY, W.Va. (WSAZ) — Investigators say a bald eagle’s death last summer was from pesticide poisoning, according to information from West Virginia Natural Resources Police.
The eagle was discovered in August by a resident in Pocahontas County.
An investigation, which included the National Fish and Wildlife Forensics Laboratory, found that the eagle died after eating flesh and hair from a contaminated pig carcass. Investigators say the pig had been disposed of by someone, possibly in the county landfill.
Environmental officials stress the importance of properly disposing of livestock treated with pesticides.