British tourist claims he contracted parasite on all-inclusive trip to Mexico

May 24, 2019  by Molly Rose Pike  The Sun

A BRIT holidaymaker vomited blood after contracting a deadly parasite on an all-inclusive TUI break to Mexico.

Chris Gillian was on a special anniversary trip with his wife Marisa when he started to feel dizzy and rushed back to his room where he was violently sick.

 Chris Gillian was struck down with a parasitic infection called cyclospora on an all-inclusive TUI break to Mexico

Chris Gillian was struck down with a parasitic infection called cyclospora on an all-inclusive TUI break to Mexico

 He was on a special anniversary trip with his wife Marisa when he started to feel ill

He was on a special anniversary trip with his wife Marisa when he started to feel ill

The new dad was struck down with a parasitic infection called cyclospora, which he claims TUI failed to warn him about when he booked.

Cyclospora is usually caught from eating food contaminated with feces.

He is one of 400 tourists who all say they were struck down with the parasite over a three-year period.

Chris and Marisa booked two weeks abroad through TUI’s sister company First Choice.

CONTAMINATED WITH POO

In ITV’s Holidays: All-Inclusives Uncovered? Chris claims he started to feel ill a week into the holiday.

Chris said: “We went out for a meal on our first night and had a really nice time. But almost a week in, I’d woken up feeling funny.

“Me and my wife went and sat by the poolside and it started to get progressively worse, I started to get really bad headaches and feel really dizzy so we went back to the hotel room.

“I remember laying on the bed and I just had this sudden urge that I was going to throw up. I barely made it to the sink and just threw up what I can only describe as just blood.”

Chris was rushed to hospital where he was given painkillers and antibiotics to flush out the infection.

He remembers a doctor who couldn’t speak English repeating the word “parasite” while he was treated.

‘VIOLENTLY SICK’

Chris was discharged from the hospital after 24 hours but had to follow a restricted diet and drink no alcohol for the rest of the holiday.

Thankfully the couple’s insurance covered the thousands of pounds in medical fees.

Public Health England issued warnings about cyclospora but it’s claimed that TUI hadn’t told customers ahead of travel.

Instead they were given a letter giving advice based around personal hygiene and food preparation, even if they were on all-inclusive break where they’re unlikely to do any cooking.

But Chris says neither he or his wife were given the letter.

He now says he wants someone to “take responsibility” for his ruined holiday.

What is cyclospora?

Cyclospora is in infection of the bowel caused by a parasite called called Cyclospora cayetanensis.

The most common symptom is diarrhea but sufferers can also experience weight loss, vomiting  and stomach cramps.

Cyclospora doesn’t usually pose a serious risk and can be easily treated using antibiotics.

Most people who caught the infection picked it up while on holiday to the Caribbean, Mexico, Central and South America, south and east Asia, the Middle East and Africa.

It’s spread by eating food or drinking water contaminated with human poo carrying the parasite.

Chris said: “‘I want someone to take responsibility I want someone to hold their hands up and say yes we knew there was a problem but unfortunately we didn’t fix it that time, it’s as simple as that.

“I didn’t know what was happening to me. I don’t want anyone to go through what I went through.”

Lawyer Nick Harris is part of a firm representing Chris and hundreds of others who became ill after contracting cyclospora.

Mr Harris said: “There was a duty placed on TUI to tell customers before travelling to Mexico, the moment that they knew of an outbreak in the resort, something that was likely to affect people.

“If you imagine people who have for instance poor immune systems travelling to a resort like that and then succumbing to an illness like cyclospora, that’s dangerous.”

Sandals’ management investigates ‘bed bugs’ claim

Observer-Newspaper1May 29, 2019

Front-3-Sandals-reduced-Custom

Management at the Sandals Grande Antigua resort has confirmed receiving a report that two of its guests were allegedly bitten by bed bugs while staying at the hotel.

When contacted, a representative of the resort said an investigation into the matter is ongoing.

“Here at Sandals Grande Antigua we can confirm that we did receive a report from a couple, one of our guests, regarding insect bites and the matter is currently being investigated as we speak,” General Manager of Sandals Grande Antigua, Matthew Cornall said.

He continued: “As we know here in Antigua, it’s a tropical island and it’s known for its beautiful flora and fauna including a number of native insects which are pretty common throughout the region. Our top priority is the safety and comfort of our guests and we maintain a robust environment of health and safety programs geared at ensuring justice.”

The visiting couple told OBSERVER media that they were “devoured” by the bugs while on island for a friend’s wedding.

“After spending one night in room 612, we both noticed several bites on our bodies…we didn’t put things together, until the third day of suffering we looked closer at the bed. We were disgusted to find several large bugs in our bed. I guess they had grown from feasting us,” the husband said while recounting the entire ordeal.

He said that on the first night of their stay, they noticed bites about their bodies which they assumed at the time could have been due to sand flies or mosquitoes.

It was not until the following morning that couple said they noticed blood and a bug in their bed.

The couple alleged that the management of Sandals then imputed that the blood could have been as a result of the woman’s menstrual cycle and the bugs could have been brought in when they checked in.

That explanation, according the couple, was not only bizarre but offensive.

By the third day the visitors reportedly saw several large bugs in the bed and even though the management saw them, they refused to take responsibility.

“They both denied that they had bed bugs and that they didn’t exist in the Caribbean. After a quick google search we found several reports of bed bugs on the resort and in government buildings and the airport. So, it is not true that bed bugs can’t survive here,” the husband added.

According to them, they informed the management about the problem but it was not treated with any urgency. Further, they said the hotel’s management refused to refund them their monies, and asked that the entire experience be kept a secret.

The couple said they are perturbed by the occurrence and will be speaking to legal authorities on the matter.