Connecticut man breaks into closed restaurant, spends 4 days eating, drinking

FOX NEWS | by Michael Bartiromo | April 17, 2020

How many times does the governor have to tell you, dude? Restaurants are closed for dine-in services.

A man in New Haven, Conn., was arrested earlier this week after breaking into a downtown restaurant during the coronavirus pandemic and helping himself to thousands of dollars’ worth of food and liquor over the course of four days.

Capture

The burglar, identified as Louis Angel Ortiz, was first reported to the authorities after a manager at the Soul de Cuba Café found Ortiz asleep inside the restaurant on Tuesday, according to a reporter for Fox 61. Officers responded to find Ortiz down the street, “in possession of a bottle of the restaurant’s rum,” the New Haven Police Department confirmed.

After reviewing security footage, police determined Ortiz had broken into the café on Saturday, and “helped himself over the course of four days to the restaurant’s food, liquor, and beer,” while also removing “beverages and property” from the restaurant. Ortiz is also accused of drinking or stealing around 70 bottles of liquor, the restaurant’s management estimated.

The manager of the restaurant, reported to be the Soul de Cuba Cafe in downtown New Haven, found the burglar asleep inside after what police say was a four-day binge.

The manager of the restaurant, reported to be the Soul de Cuba Cafe in downtown New Haven, found the burglar asleep inside after what police say was a four-day binge. (Google)

Soul de Cuba Café is currently closed amid the ongoing coronavirus pandemic.

Ortiz has been charged with both burglary and larceny in the third degree, as well as criminal mischief. He also had a previous warrant for failure to appear in the second degree, police say.

As of Wednesday, Ortiz was awaiting an arraignment hearing in New Haven Superior Court. The Connecticut State Department of Correction currently lists him as being detained at the New Haven Correctional Center.

Coronavirus pandemic and grocery shopping: No need to wipe down food packaging, FDA says

FOX NEWS | by Madeline Farber | April 17, 2020

Heads up, consumers: When running the essential errand that is grocery shopping during the coronavirus epidemic in the U.S., there’s no need to wipe down the food packaging after you’ve returned home, according to a federal agency.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) attempted to quell Americans’ fears that their food packaging may be contaminated with the novel coronavirus, as recent studies have suggested it can live on certain surfaces between hours and days.

But in a statement posted to its website on Thursday, the FDA said: “We want to reassure consumers that there is currently no evidence of human or animal food or food packaging being associated with transmission of the coronavirus that causes COVID-19.”

“This particular coronavirus causes respiratory illness and is spread from person-to-person, unlike foodborne gastrointestinal or GI viruses, such as norovirus and hepatitis A that often make people ill through contaminated food,” it added, noting there are currently no nationwide shortages of food, though some stores may be out of certain products. (Speaking of, what drives people to panic buy?)

The FDA also provided tips on how to protect yourself, other shoppers and store employees when buying essential items. For instance, it advised to:

  • Prepare a grocery list in advance
  • Wear a face mask or covering while in the store (this is in line with recently updated Centers for Disease Control and Prevention [CDC] guidelines, and is now mandatory in hot spots like New York)
  • Practice social distancing while shopping, make sure to stay at least 6 feet away from others
  • Thoroughly wash your hands after returning home and again after putting the groceries away

“Again, there is no evidence of food packaging being associated with the transmission of COVID-19. However, if you wish, you can wipe down product packaging and allow it to air dry, as an extra precaution,” the FDA added.

France, Israel shutter restaurants, cafes, non-essential stores amid coronavirus outbreak

France has declared that all non-essential stores, restaurants, movie theaters and cafes will be shut down starting Sunday to prevent the spread of coronavirus throughout the country.

The Israeli government also shut down restaurants, cafes and movie theaters starting Sunday, Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu announced.

French Prime Minister Edouard Philippe said public services such as banks, grocery stores and pharmacies will be allowed to remain open.

The world’s coronavirus pandemic has infected more than 150,000 people and killed over 5,700. The disease for most people causes only mild or moderate symptoms. For some, it can cause more severe illness. The vast majority recover.

Fox News’ Trey Yingst and The Associated Press contributed to this story.  March 14, 2020

Gov. DeWine: 100,000 believed to have coronavirus in Ohio, number projected to double every six days

FoxNews.com | by Julia Musto | March 13, 2020

The state of Ohio is seeing “very difficult times” under the threat of the coronavirus pandemic, Gov. Mike DeWine said Friday.

In an interview on “America’s Newsroom” with host Sandra Smith, DeWine said he had relied on experts in his decision to order school closings starting Monday evening and ban mass gatherings of more than 100 people.

OHIO LIKELY HAS 100,000 CASES, TOP HEALTH OFFICIAL SAYS

Additionally, on Thursday, Ohio’s top health officials announced that there are likely over 100,000 undiagnosed cases of COVID-19 in the state thus far.

“We have a panel of 14 doctors,” said DeWine. “We also reached out to other experts yesterday and it was clear that we had to take this action in regard to our schools.”

States struggling to get coronavirus testing kits after Trump says process is 'going well'

DeWine explained that what the “experts” were telling him was that the number of projected undiagnosed cases walking around will double every six days.

“You just think about that,” he mused. “We are in some tough times in Ohio. And, it’s very, very important for us to do everything we can do slow this down.”

DeWine said he knew that actions like closing schools had other consequences, but that the goal is to avoid encountering problems like “the situation” in Italy.

Gov. Dewine says Ohio estimated to have over 100K cases of COVID-19

The governor told Smith that they have just over 1,000 testing kits at the Department of Health, but that hospitals are “coming online basically in regard to having [the] kits” and some private labs also have the capability.

“So, you’re going to see more tests done in the next few days. And, of course, the number of people who are testing positive is going to go up,” he stated.

However, DeWine also said that he believes the United States will reach a point where there is not the capacity to test everybody and just “have to move on from there.”

“Because, if you get a million people, two million people, obviously you’re not going to be testing them at that point,” he explained. “So, look, would we like more testing kits? Yeah, we would. But, we are in the same boat everybody else is.”

“And so, we took this action yesterday can’t say to get ahead of this because you can’t get ahead of it really, but to really slow this down as much as we could so that…our hospitals, and our doctors, and our whole health care system will be able to deal with what is coming up,” DeWine concluded.

SleepingSimple

Information and Perspectives on Bed Bug Prevention, Protection and Safety

Bed Bug Blog Report

Information and Perspectives on Bed Bug Prevention, Protection and Safety

Bed Bug Blog

Information and Perspectives on Bed Bug Prevention, Protection and Safety

CDC Blogs

Information and Perspectives on Bed Bug Prevention, Protection and Safety