‘They had students’ coats and backpacks in plastic bags: Multiple cases of bed bugs confirmed at RPS Elementary School

NEWS 12 WWBT | by Kelly Avellino | December 10, 2019
t_c28a22ebe1614b25a434acde6601eb13_name_file_1280x720_2000_v3_1_
RICHMOND, Va. – RPS officials confirm the first case surfaced in mid-November. Parents in the classroom were notified and the room impacted was treated. Now, several weeks later, more instances of bed bugs have been reported.

“I’m definitely thinking of keeping my child out of school, possibly, because I don’t want to take any chances of him bringing anything into the home,” said the parent.

This is not the first time RPS has combated a bed bug outbreak in its facilities, also treating MLK preschool earlier in the school year. At least seven schools were treated in 2016.

“It’s as easy as just sitting next to somebody and a bug crawling onto that child,” said Tres Bedell, owner of RVA Thermal Heat which specializes in eradicating bed bugs using heat of up to 145 degrees. “That (bug) could be a queen and have up to 50, 60 eggs. So, it happens extremely quickly.”

Bedell suggests carefully inspecting your child’s clothing before going inside the house. If possible, have your child change in the garage or another area first, putting their outer clothing worn at school in a pillowcase.

“Put (the clothing) in the pillowcase. Tie a knot. Throw it in the dryer at high heat for about an hour, and it’ll kill anything that’s on there,” said Bedell.

RPS is also helping families that may have bed bug issues in their homes.

Parents should call the main office at Overby-Sheppard Elementary School at (804) 329-2515.

Virginia woman contracts flesh-eating infection, has emergency surgery after 10 minutes swimming at local beach

FOX News | Brie Stimson

A Virginia woman who contracted a flesh-eating staph infection that spread through her leg after just 10 minutes in the water, had to have emergency surgery days later, according to reports.

“I was just like, ‘Oh, my goodness my leg is gonna fall off,'” Amanda Edwards told WTKR. “That’s the only thing I could keep thinking.”

 

Edwards had been at Norfolk’s Ocean View Beach last week with friends when she noticed the infection spreading. She told WTKR she ignored it for a couple of days until she couldn’t walk anymore.

Finally, she went to the hospital for emergency surgery. “They had to cut me open, drain it out and stuff it with some gauze. I had to keep it covered for days. I had to take three antibodies every six hours.”

She said doctors told her the infection may have spread through an open cut in her leg. WTKR reported there was a swimming advisory when Edwards was at the beach due to increased bacteria in the water.